According to many surveys, scholarship programs work best in conjunction with a meaningful and comprehensive mentorship program. The Little Rock Nine® Foundation provides both, through the Little Rock Nine® Foundation Scholarship and Mentoring Program.
Scholarship recipients are chosen through an essay contest. Each student who is granted an award, must show leadership ability, be highly motivated, and exhibit an overwhelming desire to make a difference in the larger community. One of the principles of the Foundation is that the students will mentor other students, thereby, continuing the cycle of giving back to the community.
Nine students were recipients of the first 2007 Little Rock Nine® Foundation Scholarship and Mentoring Awards. Each received a $10,000 grant, over two years, and was assigned a Little Rock Nine member as a mentor.
Click here to Print out the
Scholarship/Mentorship Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the Little Rock Nine® Foundation Scholarship and Mentorship Awards Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled as a senior in high school for current academic year;
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or its equivalent;
- Plan to attend an accredited college or university through graduation;
- Be willing to mentor another high school student;
- Have a financial need as verified by the financial aid department;
- Be a citizen of the U.S.
- Complete the accompanying scholarship application;
- Provide an official transcript;
- Submit letters of recommendation by a teacher of your choice and a community leader who can speak to your overall ability and likelihood of your success in an undergraduate program of study.
- Mail completed application and letters of recommendation to: Little Rock Nine® Foundation, P.O. Box 370208, Denver, CO 80237-0208, by January 31, 2013.
The Little Rock Nine® Foundation’s Philosophy.
Many children still do not have access to adequate educational opportunities in the 21st Century. Because of their struggles for a quality education, the Little Rock Nine members, through their Little Rock Nine® Foundation, are committed to assuring that our youth, especially children of color, are equipped with the knowledge and skills they need to become future leaders.
The mission of the Little Rock Nine® Foundation is to provide direct financial support and a mentorship program for students to help them reach their educational goals.
In your own words, please explain why you think this student is deserving of a scholarship from the Little Rock Nine® Foundation.
Please give a sealed copy of your letter to the student with your signature across the closing envelope flap so it can be mailed along with the student’s completed application. Two letters of recommendation are required.